1 hour 15 mins
- 1-1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
24 oz fresh cranberries (2 packages)
1⅓ cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cinnamon stick
9 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
4½ cups 2% milk
1 tablespoon butter
- Whipped cream for decorating
- 1 loaf (16 oz) frozen pound cake, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 9x13 white cake, baked, cooled and cubed
- Sugared Cranberries for decorating
- Cranberry Layer
- Combine all cranberry layer ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk in milk. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a boil, let boil 2 minutes while stirring.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs while whisking. Return the mixture to the sauce pan and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Let boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool in the saucepan for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour into a large bowl and place plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Place half of the cake cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl. Top with half of the cranberry mixture and half of the custard. Repeat layers.
- Top with whipped cream and candied cranberries if desired.