Homemade Lemon Curd
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 quart of curd
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 lemons, zested
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 Cup Butter (1 1/2 sticks of butter cut into 1 Tablespoon sections = 12 Tablespoons total)
Tip: Zest lemons before juicing. This is MUCH easier to do!
- In a saucepan, add lemon zest, lemon juice, white sugar, eggs and salt. Mix well.
- Place saucepan on burner and turn to medium heat.
- Whisk continually for 15 minutes. This is to prevent egg from curdling. Curd will begin to thicken between 10 and 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat and add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking until melted and mixed in.
- Pour curd through a fine mesh strainer. This will remove the zest and any partially cooked egg.
- Chill curd for 3 hours or overnight. Curd will continue to thicken as it cools.
Curd can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks in either a quart jar or a sealed container.