KOREAN BBQ TACOS
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 8 tacos
For the beef:
- ¼ cup soy sauce2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 and ¼ pounds thinly sliced beef (such as sirloin or flank steak)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the slaw:
* 1 tablespoon lime juice
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cups shredded green cabbage
* 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
* ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
* ½ cup shredded carrots
* salt and pepper to taste
For the pickled cucumbers:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup very thinly sliced cucumbers (I use the small persian cucumbers)
- salt to taste
- 8 small flour tortillas.
- In a resealable bag combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, chile flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Add beef, seal the bag, and shake to coat the meat in the marinade.
- Marinate the meat for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the cucumbers, rice vinegar, sugar and salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the beef in a single layer and cook for 4-5 minutes until beef is cooked through and starting to brown.
- While the beef is cooking, make the slaw. In a medium bowl, combine the green cabbage, purple cabbage, carrots, lime juice, olive oil and green onions. Toss until thoroughly mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble place 8 flour tortillas on a flat surface. Fill each tortilla with approximately ¼ cup slaw and evenly divide the beef over the tortillas. Top each taco with approximately 2 tablespoons of pickled cucumbers and serve.