SPINACH ARTICHOKE STUFFED CHICKEN
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken is a delicious way to turn a creamy dip into an incredible dinner! Serve it with a creamy sauce for added flavor!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 pounds | 1 kg)
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika (optional)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP:
- 4 oz | 120 g frozen spinach, thawed
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz | 250 g block cream cheese (light or reduced fat), at room temp
6 oz | 170 g bottled or canned artichoke hearts in brine, finely chopped*
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt to taste
OPTIONAL CREAM SAUCE:
Remaining spinach / artichoke dip
1 cup milk (skim, 2% or full fat)
For The Chicken:
- Place each chicken breast on a flat surface. Season both sides of each breast with the Italian seasoning and paprika. With your hand supporting each piece, cut a slit or pocket about ¾ quarter of the way through, being careful not to cut all the way.
- Squeeze any and all excess liquid out of the spinach. Discard the water released. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the spinach, cream cheese, artichokes, mozzarella, parmesan and garlic; mix well to combine (use your hands if necessary).
- Fill chicken 'pockets' with 1-2 tablespoons of the spinach artichoke dip, spreading evenly with the back of the spoon (or use your fingertips to press it down). Reserve the leftover dip for the optional cream sauce (you should have exactly half left over), or see notes for other ideas!
- Seal with two or three toothpicks near the opening to keep the dip inside while cooking.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet (or non stick pan) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry until golden. Rotate and fry on the other side, covering pan with a lid, until cooked through, (about 6 to 7 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a warm plate to make the optional cream sauce.
- For The Cream Sauce:
- Pour milk into the skillet / pan and bring to a simmer. Add in the remaining dip (you should have exactly half remaining), and stir until sauce is combined and thickened. Add the chicken back into the pan and serve immediately!
*Don't like artichokes? Replace them with an extra 4 oz | 120 g of frozen and thawed spinach.
The cream sauce is optional! If you're not wanting to make it, HALVE the DIP ingredients in the ingredients list to ensure there is no leftover dip! If you're wanting to save the reserved dip for later instead of using it in a cream sauce, simply refrigerate it up to 4 days OR freeze up to 3 months in a plastic container. When ready to use, mix ½ cup milk or cream through to thin the consistency and cook in pot over stove top!