HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH APPLES
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MIN
cook time: 1 HOUR 15 MIN
total time: 1 HOUR 20 MIN
Update your Homemade Cranberry Sauce with apples for a simple and sweet twist on the classic Thanksgiving side. Tasty without getting too crazy!
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries, picked over
- 1 cup peeled and diced cooking apples (I like to use Granny Smith)
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, water, cinnamon, and salt to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cranberries and apples. Simmer until slightly thickened and the berries begin to pop, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- If you're using frozen cranberries, just add about 2 minutes to simmering time (no need to thaw).
- Make it ahead! Just the follow the recipe as is, cool it completely, and then keep refrigerated for up to 4 days in advance. Or, freeze it a month ahead and just thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you want to serve it. Easy!