Spicy White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup
min Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 min
* 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
* 1 cup white onion, chopped
* 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
* 1/2 cup celery, chopped
* 1/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
* 1 Tbsp. jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds)
* 1/4 cup AP flour
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 Tbsp. black peppercorns, whole
* 1 bottle / can of light beer (12 oz. lager is preferable)
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds (toasted if possible)
* small handful of fresh thyme sprigs
* 2 1/2 cups of white cheddar cheese, shredded (adjust this to your liking!)
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup half and half
* 2 (large) or 4 (small) bread bowls
* chives and chopped bacon, for garnish.
- In a deep pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook until veggies become very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour, and let it cook for a few minutes. Stir continuously to avoid browning. The consistency of the veggies and flour together should feel similar to a vegetable "paste" as you stir it.
- Slowly add the bottle of beer, while still stirring continuously. Then, slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Add the bay leaf, black peppercorns, caraway seeds, and fresh thyme.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add milk and half and half, stir to blend everything together, then bring to a quick boil. Immediately turn back down to a simmer, and allow it to simmer for another ten minutes.
- Whisk in cheese, and check to be sure consistency is to your liking. Add more stock if it seems too thick.
- Strain entire contents into another large pot, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bread bowls, garnish as you please, and enjoy!
This will make two big bowls of soup, or four smaller ones - just as a note!