Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 4-8 (Makes 16 breadsticks)
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or mix of dried herbs (I used thyme, basil and parsley)1 large egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used reduced fat Cheddar Jack), divided
- Salt and pepper
- Marinara sauce for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower and cut it into florets. Place them in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped and looks like rice.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe dish or bowl. Cover and cook in the microwave for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower in a steamer basket or bake it in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
- When the cauliflower is cool, transfer it to a bowl lined with a kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Bring the ends of the cloth together and squeeze as much liquid out of the cauliflower as you can. I got about ½ cup liquid.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a mixing bowl and add the egg, Italian seasoning, ½ cup cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the dough into a rectangle about 8 x 12 inches and ¼-inch thick.
- Bake in the oven 15-20 minutes until cooked. Remove the baking sheet and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the top. Bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cut cheesy bread into 16 breadsticks. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Serving size: One breadstick Calories: 26 Fat: 0.8g Saturated fat: 0.4g Carbohydrates: 2g Sodium: 58mg Fiber: 0.8g Protein: 2.8g