|Rustic Roasted Garlic Chicken with Asiago Gravy|
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A rustic one pot roast chicken with whole cloves of garlic is a super tasty asiago gravy!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 (6 ounce) bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
- salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese (or parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cups chicken broth
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken (seasoned with salt and pepper) and brown, abut 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onions are tender and the everything is lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the thyme and flour and cook for a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan with a spoon while the broth is sizzling when added.
- Mix the asiago into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken, cover (with a lid or foil) and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven for 15 minutes OR turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer on the stove top for 15 minutes.
Slow Cooker: Optionally (but recommended) implement steps 1-5, place everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours. If you skip the earlier steps, whisk the flour into the broth before mixing in the slow cooker.
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips of bacon, set aside and cook the onion in the bacon grease and add the crumbled bacon to the sauce after roasting!
Option: For One-Pan: Make this a one-pan meal by adding 8 ounces of pasta and 2 1/4 cups broth or water (or 1 cup of rice and 2 cups broth or water) to the sauce in step 8 and simmer, covered, until cooked, about 12 minutes (or 20 minutes for rice).
Option: For One-Pan: Make this a one-pan meal by adding 8 ounces of pasta and 2 1/4 cups broth or water (or 1 cup of rice and 2 cups broth or water) to the sauce in step 5 and roast, covered, until cooked, about 15 minutes (or 25 minutes for rice).
Option: Add 1 tablespoons white miso paste to the sauce! (Do it if you have it!)
Option: Add a splash of lemon juice to the sauce!
Option: Add 1/2 cup cream to the sauce!
Option: Add 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms along with the onions!
Option: Add diced potatoes and carrots to the pan before placing the chicken on top and roasting until the veggies are tender, about 20-30 minutes for a one pot meal!
Nutrition Facts: Calories 524, Fat 33.6g (Saturated 12.3g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 116mg, Sodium 464mg, Carbs 20.9g (Fiber 3.5g, Sugars 6.9g), Protein 32.2g