This healthy Vegan Shredded Tofu Pesto Sandwich is creamy without being mushy, hearty, and easy to make. It's the perfect lightened up version to the classic chicken pesto sandwich.
Author: GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
Recipe type: Lunch
- ½ a block (~175g) extra firm tofu, drained and shredded*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup vegan kale walnut pesto (or your favourite vegan pesto)
- ¼ -1/3 cup Vegenaise depending on desired creaminess
- salt & pepper to taste
- bread and tomato slices for serving
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add shredded tofu, salt and pepper and saute for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then mix together tofu, pesto and Vegenaise in a bowl until well combined
- Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Serve sandwiches on toasted bread of choice with tomato slices and tofu pesto mixture
*I shredded my tofu using a the largest holes in a regular cheese grater. If it’s waterlogged tofu, you may have to press it first to remove the water so it doesn’t crumble, but it worked perfectly for me straight from the package.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Brucie Fabre