These hearty vegan chickpea burgers are infused and topped with tangy barbecue sauce and served up on buns with creamy slaw.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 36 minutes
Calories 513 kcal
For the Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Barbecue Chickpea Burgers
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Oil, for grilling
- 4 to 6 burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced Pickles
- First make the slaw by stirring all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add a bit more mayo if you'd like it a bit creamier, and adjust any of the seasonings to your liking.
- Next make the barbecue sauce by stirring all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- To make the burgers, first place the oats into a food processor bowl and process to a fine powder. Add the chickpeas, onion, garlic, and half of the barbecue sauce. Pulse until everything is chopped and well mixed, being careful not to overdo it.
- Shape the mixture into 4 to 6 patties.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a medium skillet. When the oil is hot, place a few patties into the skillet, leaving some room between them. Cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and cook any remaining patties, adding some oil to the skillet if needed.
- Stuff the patties into buns and top with remaining sauce, slaw, tomato and pickle slices. Serve.
Source : https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/barbecue-chickpea-burgers/