This simple and old fashioned recipe for Chocolate and Orange Icebox Cookies uses a surprising ingredient for these scrumptious treats.
Calories: 457 kcal
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1 /2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup minced candied orange peel
Cream the butte with the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla. Beat until well combined. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat until blended. Mix in the mini chocolate chips and the candied orange peel. Divide the dough in half. Shape into logs about 1 1/2 inches thick. Wrap in parchment or wax paper and refrigerate until firm. To Bake:
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Line several sheet pans with parchment.
- Slice dough into 1/4 inch slices. Place approximately 2 inches apart on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Directions for Orange Peel:
- Cut the top and bottom off each orange. Score the peel in 1 inch wide strips. Using your fingers, remove the peel from the orange, scraping away any membrane that remains. Place the peels in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until peels are tender. Drain.
- When cool, cut the peels into strips 1/4 inch wide. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, combine the 2 cups of water, sugar and corn syrup or cream of tartar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add the peel. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the peel is translucent and tender. Remove from the heat and pour the syrup and peels into a heatproof container. Let sit overnight at room temperature. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. To coat peels in sugar, remove peels from the syrup and let dry overnight and then roll in sugar.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan