yield: FIVE 9-OUNCE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CUPS
- 1/2 cup chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Keep a couple tablespoons aside for topping, then divide the remaining crumbles between the cups for the mousse.
- In a metal or glass bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream until combined.
- Place bowl over a pot of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly. The mixture will thin out at first, then begin to thicken. Egg mixture will be ready when is has slightly thickened, lightened in color and has more volume. It should take about 7-10 minutes and reach 160 degrees. Do not boil. Remove egg mixture from heat and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt in the microwave in intervals of about 20 seconds, stirring between each interval, until smooth. Add chocolate to egg mixture and whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool to about room temperature.
- In another bowl, make whipped cream. Whip remaining 1 1/4 cups of heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar to cream and continue to whip until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Fold about a ¼ cup of whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until smooth to thin out the chocolate mixture a bit. Then fold about a 1/4 of the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Slowly fold in the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Divide chocolate mousse between the cups then refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, top mousse with remaining cookie crumbles, a whoosh of Reddi-wip and some sprinkles.
Source : https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2016/02/08/chocolate-mousse-cookie-crumbles/