Deliciously creamy Baked Mac & Cheese, loaded with sour cream, bacon, and chives and topped with buttery bread crumbs. The BEST mac & cheese ever....sure to become a family favorite!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 10 -12
Author Cathy Trochelman
- 3 c. elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 5 c. milk
- 8 oz. block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz. block monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1/2 package bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. minced chives
- sour cream
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Rinse with warm water and drain completely.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until mixture begins to turn golden.
- Slowly add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until thickened to the consistency of gravy and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix cheese mixture with cooked macaroni; pour into greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over mac & cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven; top with crumbled bacon, chives, and sour cream.
Source : https://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2016/10/loaded-mac-cheese.html