yield: SERVES 8-10 prep time: 45 MINUTES total time: 2 HOURS, 45 MINUTES
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) salted roasted peanuts, divided1
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons (25g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) ice water
- homemade salted caramel2 (see note)
- 8 ounces (226g) milk or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (31g) creamy peanut butter
- optional: chopped Snickers bar, crushed peanuts, extra caramel for topping
- I encourage you to check out the step-by-step photos for the crust below this recipe before beginning.
- For the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Using a food processor, pulse 3/4 cup peanuts, the flour, brown sugar, and salt together until it reaches the consistency of coarse meal. Add the cubes of cold butter and pulse until the mixture turns into pea-sized crumbs. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Slowly stir in 3 Tablespoons of ice water. You only want to add enough water to bring the dough somewhat together. Using floured fingers or the bottom of a flat and lightly floured measuring cup, press the dough evenly into a 9-inch tart pan. You want it extremely tight in the pan. You'll need to use pie weights for the next step, so line the crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper and add pie weights. If you do not have pie weights, prick the crust a few times with a fork so no air bubbles form.
- Bake (with pie weights) for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool as you prepare the filling.
- For the filling: Mix the salted caramel and 1 cup of peanuts together. If the salted caramel was made ahead of time, slightly warm it so that it can easily be poured. Pour caramel nut filling into crust.
- For the topping: Using a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate and peanut butter together until smooth. If using the microwave, stop and stir every 15 seconds until melted. Spread over caramel nut filling. Garnish with optional toppings, if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 2-3 hours or until set. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Make ahead tip: This is the perfect recipe to make ahead of time and there are several ways to do it. You can prepare the entire dessert, cover tightly, and keep in the refrigerator for 3 days before serving. If the caramel is too firm, let it sit at room temperature for a couple hours before cutting. Or you can prepare the crust in steps 2 and 3, allow to cool, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can also prepare the salted caramel for the filling up to 1 week in advance. Tart freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature to soften the caramel before serving.
I suggest salted roasted peanuts for best flavor. You can use unsalted if you prefer, see next note + use 1 teaspoon salt in the crust.
If you use salted peanuts as suggested, reduce salt in salted caramel sauce to 1/4 teaspoon. If you are using unsalted peanuts, follow the salted caramel recipe as listed with 1 teaspoon of salt. You'll need 1 cup of caramel, which is the entire recipe.
Source : https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2017/03/08/snickers-caramel-tart/