Prep Time 45 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
These vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting are perfectly moist with the softest cupcake crumb and delicious buttery vanilla flavor. You'll love the creamy chocolate buttercream!
Servings: 16 cupcakes
Calories: 389 kcal
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour* (not self rising)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk , in addition to the 2 other eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk**
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 tbsp whipping cream
Make the Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees & line muffin trays with muffin papers. (You'll get 16-18 cupcakes total)
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until very fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the butter, adding about 1/3 of each at a time and alternating between adding flour and milk. Careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Make the Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Carefully beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Then beat in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1-2 tablespoons whipping cream until the desired consistency and sweetness level is reached.
- Frost the cupcakes using a knife or a piping bag (I used a piping bag with a 1M tip).
*Cake flour can be substituted for 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
**If you don't have buttermilk, 1% or 2% milk can be substituted instead.
Source : https://www.justsotasty.com/vanilla-cupcakes-with-chocolate-frosting/