Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Chill time 52 mins
Total Time 25 mins
Mild jackfruit is transformed into a delicious "crab" cake. Perfect for an entree or an appetizer.
Course: Entree, Main Course, Side Dish, Snack
Servings: 6 Crab Cakes
Calories: 165 kcal
Author: Linda Meyer
- 24 oz young jackfruit in water (SEE NOTE), drain, rinse well, squeeze and pat dry, chop until it resembles lump crab meat
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed plus 6 tbsp (90 ml) water, mix well and let sit for ten minutes
- 1 tsp Colman’s Mustard powder plus 1 tsp water mix well
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp Old Bay spice
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce we use Annie’s brand
- 2 cloves of garlic minced, or 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chives – minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro – minced
- 1/2 cup classic bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Make the flax eggs and set aside
- Put all of the seasonings, mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl and whisk together until completely combined.
- Add the jackfruit, flax eggs, herbs, and bread crumbs and combine with your hands until the mixture begins to stick together. Form into cakes. The amount that this recipe makes depends on how large you make the cakes.
- Place the cakes on a plate and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and put the cakes on a cookie sheet.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top of the cakes and bake for approximately ten minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip and squeeze lemon juice on the top of the cakes and bake until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cover the bottom of a large skillet with a thin layer of oil (1 to 2 tablespoons) and heat on medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the cakes and cook until golden brown (approximately 5 minutes). Flip and cook until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve with aioli or sriracha and a lemon wedge.
The Nutrition Facts are an Estimate Only.
Purchase jackfruit in water, NOT brine, or they'll turn out too salty.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : https://www.veganosity.com/vegan-jackfruit-crab-cakes/