Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 40 mins
Author: Sarah McMinn
- 8 ounces 1 package tempeh
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices Alvarado's Sprouted Rye Seed Bread
- 1/2 heaping cup Sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup vegan Russian Dressing
- vegan swiss cheese optional
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Cut tempeh in half lengthwise and then cut it through the middle for 4 thin slices.
- Combine the ingredients for the tempeh marinade in a shallow dish. Add tempeh and marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons oil. Add tempeh and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until dark brown. Once both sides are browned, add reserved marinade and let it cook off in the skillet. This allows the flavors to seep into the tempeh deeper.
- Butter 4 slices of Sprouted Rye Seed Bread. Place on the skillet and cook for a 3-4 minutes, until lightly brown. Flip bread. On the uncooked side, add Russian dressing to all slices of bread. Divide the sauerkraut between two slices, top with 2 pieces cooked tempeh, each, and a slice of vegan swiss, if using. Add the second slice of bread and cook on each side for about 5 minutes, until bread is browned and everything is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Source : https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/2017/05/vegan-tempeh-reuben/