total time: 75 MIN, INCLUDING COOLING prep time: 45 MIN cook time: 15 MIN
These chocolate chip cupcakes with chocolate frosting are the perfect combination of vanilla & chocolate. Fluffy, buttery vanilla cupcakes. Chocolate chips. AND chocolate buttercream.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour (not self rising, all-purpose flour works too)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (1%, 2% or whole milk work too)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 tablespoons whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees, and line a muffin pan with muffin papers. (You’ll end up with 12-14 cupcakes total).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder & salt.
- Then in a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then beat in the vanilla extract and eggs.
- With the mixer on low speed, carefully add in about 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by about 1/3 of the milk. Repeat with the rest of the flour and the milk until everything is mixed together.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove and continue cooling on a wire rack.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Then turn the mixer to low speed and beat in 2 cups of the powdered sugar, followed by the cocoa powder. Then mix in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Beat in the remaining powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar until the desired consistency and sweetness is reached.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes using a knife or a piping bag (I used a 1M tip), then decorate with mini chocolate chips.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : https://ohsweetbasil.com/chocolate-chip-cupcakes-with-chocolate-frosting-recipe/