Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 servings
- Grilled Chicken4 large juicy limes (1/2 cup lime juice + lime zest), separated
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin, separated
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salsa
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion (or half of a large one), diced4 ears sweet corn
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Optional: serve over rice or quinoa (I like to add lime juice and cilantro to the rice!)
- Trim the chicken breasts of fat and pound them to even thickness to ensure even grilling. You can also slice them evenly in half widthwise for a quicker grill. Place the prepared chicken in a large ziplock bag and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon lime zest, 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, minced garlic, 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt + pepper (I use about a teaspoon of each). Once the mixture is well combined, remove about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and reserve for later.
- Add the rest of the marinade in the bag with the chicken. Seal the bag and then knead with your hands to ensure all of the chicken is well coated. Place in the fridge and marinate for at least 45 minutes and preferably 2-3 hours. Don't marinate longer than 5 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (about 450 degrees F.) Generously oil the grill (I drench a roll-up paper towel in vegetable oil and, holding it with tongs, rub it over the grill grates. Don't skip this step.) Husk the corn and rub olive oil over the corn. Sprinkle the corn lightly with salt and pepper. Place the corn on one half of the grill.
- Remove chicken from marinade and season lightly with salt. Grill the chicken (on the other half of the grill) turning once halfway through grilling, about 4-6 minutes per side (until the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F.). Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade as you grill and after flipping. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover for foil. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes so the juices can re-distribute! As you baste the chicken, flip the corn too. Remove the corn when grilled to your liking (about 15-20 minutes, flipping around every 5 minutes)
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa! Dice the veggies -- the avocados, red onion, red pepper and cilantro. Toss together in a large bowl. Add in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, remaining 1 teaspoon cumin, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes. Gently toss together. Slice the corn off the ears and add to the salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss again and serve over chicken
Total time doesn't include marinating time (just total prep time).