- 1 lb. butter
- 1½ cups coarsely-chopped almonds
- 16 oz. light brown sugar
- 24 oz. milk chocoalte chips
- Sprinkle ¾ cup coarsely chopped almonds onto the bottom of an 18x13 inch cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a 2 qt. sauce pan, combine sugar and butter over medium high heat while stirring frequently for several minutes unit bubbly and thick. Use a candy thermometer and cook until 290 degrees F. Watch carefully after 280 degrees F to prevent it from burning. Once it has reached 290 degrees F, remove from heat.
- Pour candy evenly on top of the almonds in cookie sheet. Let stand for a few minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave with 1 tsp. shortening or oil to help keep it smooth. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until completely melted and smooth.
- Cover candy with layer of chocolate and sprinkle remaining almonds evenly over the top of chocolate layer.
- Allow to set up for a few hours. I place mine in the fridge when I need them to cool faster.
- Once completely set up and hardened, break into pieces using a knife.
- This recipe makes about 2 lbs of candy and is great for gifts!