Yields: 26 cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup+ granulated sugar for rolling
- Cream butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Mix in egg, vanilla, and molasses until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to wet ingredients until combined. CHILL dough for 2 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, roll dough into 1½-inch balls (about 1½ Tbsp each), roll in sugar and place on a silicone lined baking sheet. (Note: Some people have had to flatten the dough balls before baking. Consider doing a test cookie before baking a whole tray.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake cookies for 8 to 9 minutes. Keep extra dough cold until it is baked. For a crispier gingersnap, bake a few minutes longer. Allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.
*Recipe altered from Sprinkle Some Sugar